Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday, October 10 - Pet Peeve



Lazy Song Writing




    I absolutely con not stand lazy writing when it comes to music, it absolutely infuriates me. I'm tired of hearing the same song over and over again with the same chord progress, different lyrics, and a different singer. I can't hear "Let it Go" without also hearing Katy Perry's "Fireworks" because they are the same exact song. It would be fine and dandy if these people weren't being paid millions of dollars and seen as shining examples of music writing when it's all the same, lazily written, verse, chorus, verse, pre chorus, chorus, more chorus with the emphasis on writing a catchy tune to sell than actual artistic expression of thought and emotion.

    The lyrics are god awful too. The subject doesn't matter to me as much as some other people, but I squirm in my seat after hearing Iggy Azalea rhyme "you" with "you" four times in a row, or listen to some rando rapper going so far off topic the hook and title of the song cease to mean anything. I could maybe look over the bland, samey, uninspired instrumentals if the message of the song is at least there. This isn't to say everyone does this, because if everyone did it then I would have nothing to base this pet peeve against. Plenty of musicians have a voice and make interesting and different and exciting music, it just really gets my goat when I hear lazy song writing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with your pet peeve. Good job being descriptive in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally products wait many years before they resell again, but music is so easy to copy and sell as your own since a majority of people usually look over it and it is indeed something to cringe over. Catchy choruses and simple chord progressions sell big bucks and I hate that people are so naive to not realize they're providing money to the people that are selling them the same thing over and over again.

    ReplyDelete